Saturday, October 2, 2010

A Wonderful Problem

Today I got tired of working on all the school-specific things I had to do (study abroad applications, resume for a job interview, etc. etc.), so I decided to return to my Peter Pan script. I've been working on it off and on this school year, but my two writing classes have been demanding all of my writing attention, and so poor Peter and Mary have been neglected for too long.

I touched up a few scenes here and there, put all the completed scenes I had written into a document (24 pages so far), and jotted down some plot ideas. I really want to use this script as my final project for Play & Screenwriting, though I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to- the teacher doesn't seem too pleased with my writing, so who knows if I'll get the special permission necessary to compose the 90-page script for credit.

As part of my work, I decided to look over some feedback from the class that had seen and performed in the first drafts of my scenes. One of the strongest ones was simply asking what would happen if one character did a certain thing, and it's something I'd been wondering myself. A few minutes later, I found myself beginning on a scene that would answer that question.

At first, it was just kind of a 'Let's see where this goes' thing. But now I've got a good-lengthed scene and... I really like where it's going. The problem? The one reasno I hadn't written the scene already is because I knew I could never use it in the play. To put this scene (and, if it's going where I think it's going, yet another scene) in between the two it's meant to, it'll slow the pace way down, and I don't know if I want that. But what I do want is this scene. In my play. Now. Unfortunately, there's a 99.9% chance that it won't work, and that's making me sad.

*sigh*

Oh well. Best get to bed- early rehearsal tomorrow, then I'm heading home for about twelve hours. Yay, broken teeth and dentist appointments :p

No comments:

Post a Comment